SpaceX at $6B revenue, $0.2B profit run rate, after raising at $150B valuation
Brought to you by:
Hey, welcome to today's Bay Area Times daily newsletter. If you haven't yet already, follow us on Twitter.
We are now at 150K subscribers — thank you to all our readers! Click here if you’re interested in advertising to our audience of influential business and tech professionals. We’re sold out weeks in advance, so please get in touch as soon as possible.
Top stories today:
- SpaceX at $6B revenue, $0.2B profit run rate, $150B valuation
- Meta to release Code Llama, open-source code-generating AI
- Mortgage rate rises to 7.09%, highest in 20 years
- Bing remains at 3% market share, even with ChatGPT integration
- Americans wrongly ignore cancer, heart disease as main threats
- China fights CNY depreciation, sets trading band at record
0. Data and calendar
All values as of 6 AM ET / 3 AM PT, other than S&P500 close (4 PM ET / 1 PM PT).
All times are ET.
1. SpaceX at $6B revenue, $0.2B profit run rate, after raising at $150B valuation
A 25x P/S multiple:
It also sold the Bitcoin it had previously purchased, writing down $373M and helping BTC's price go -7%
2. Meta to release Code Llama, open-source code-generating AI model
In contrast to most of its top competitors, who have closed-source, managed/cloud software:
Read more: The Information.
Recently launched and trusted by over 10,000 already.
Unlimited sending accounts & warmup.
Start for free, no credit card required. - Instantly
4. Average mortgage rate rises to 7.09%, highest in 20 years
Home prices are slightly down since 2022, but nothing compared to the 2007-2008 crash
5. Bing remains at 3% global market share, even with ChatGPT integration
6. Americans wrongly perceive opioids, guns as major threats to health, while cancer, heart disease actually top the list
What people believe:
What is actually killing people (U.S. 2022 data):
7. China fights CNY depreciation, sets trading band at record differential from market expectations
The CNY is at its most depreciated level since 2008, as fears of a housing crash grow
8. Elon apologizes for not yet releasing shadow-banning tool, developing “underway”
9. 52% of young Americans believe moderate drinking is detrimental to health
Americans think marijuana is the least harmful of the most common legal substances
The evidence shows just a bit of tobacco can shave years off your life, while alcohol and marijuana's side effects are more significant when abused in higher quantities. - Wikipedia
10. Interesting tweets, memes, and videos
11. Other headlines
Instacart plans Sep. IPO, filing as soon as next week.
Microsoft to hold “special event” in NYC on Sep. 21, likely new Surfaces.
Ramp to raise $100M's at $5.5B valuation, from $8.1B in 2022.
Spotify paying white noise creators $38M/year.
WeWork landlords approach competitors, preparing for bankruptcy.
Match pauses background checks on Tinder and other apps.
Whatsapp to let users send HD photos.
Jack Dorsey quits Instagram, company he was an angel investor in.
Alphabet's Verily looks to spinoff, potentially in 2025.
India: top U.S. tech firms decry PC import curbs.
DeSantis memo for debate: defend Trump, hammer Vivek.
Trump plots counterprogramming, potential surrender.
April 2026: when Trump's legal team wants Jan. 6 trial.
Biden “very obsessed” with Hunter coverage, “stuck” with son.
Only 36% approve of his handling of the economy.
Jared Kushner slow to invest $3B raised from Saudis, others.
Trump cancels event to refute Georgia allegations.
Canadian sentenced to 22 years for mailing poison to Trump.
Proud Boys: prosecutors seek 27-33 years for seditious conspiracy.
San Francisco car thefts continue to alarm residents.
F-16s: U.S. approves sending Ukraine fighters from Netherlands, Denmark.
Belarus would use nuclear weapons in event of “aggression”: Lukashenko.
U.S., Korea, Japan leaders meet today at Camp David.
Another drone attacks Moscow building, no casualties.
Russia recruits spies to target weapons crossing Poland (80% of total).
Turkish companies use tankers to help Russia evade oil sanctions.
Was this newsletter forwarded to you? Sign up here. Liked it? Forward it to friends and get rewards (see below).
What did you think of today's newsletter?
Disclaimer: The Bay Area Times is a news publisher. All statements and expressions herein are the sole opinions of the authors or paid advertisers. The information, tools, and material presented are provided for informational purposes only, are not financial advice, and are not to be used or considered as an offer to buy or sell securities; and the publisher does not guarantee their accuracy or reliability. You should do your own research and consult an independent financial adviser before making any investments. Neither the publisher nor any of its affiliates accepts any liability whatsoever for any direct or consequential loss howsoever arising, directly or indirectly, from any use of the information contained herein. Assets mentioned may be owned by members of the Bay Area Times team.